Friday, August 12, 2011

Ribbed Vault

I had some time and added some columns and ribbed vaults:


The way it works, actual architectural elements can be swapped at generation time. This means different types of vaulting, columns and ornaments can be used without having to change the grammar.

The grammars are modular. What you see here is the result of one particular module that is able to fill up any space with vaults and columns.

I still have some issues in the radiosity solution. There is some light at the top of one vault I cannot really explain.

The mood in this screenshot is set by post-processing tone mapping. This is not something I can do in realtime yet. I plan to cover it as soon as I start working on the client.

EDIT

A few minutes later I found the bug in the radiosity. Here is the same vault with improved lighting now:


That was quick.

5 comments:

  1. Impressive as always. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing stuff, I can't wait to see this all come together!

    Out of interest, are the textures final, or will you be adding a bit more variety? Most churches have more than just a plain wall :)

    Also, will houses etc be inhabited with furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not worked on the building texturing at all. For now I'm just figuring out the volumes and shapes. It actually helps to have no texturing at this point. If I can make it look interesting without texturing, adding them most likely will improve the models a lot.

    Regarding furniture, I will avoid it if I can. Just some very large pieces like altars and thrones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fixing bugs is good, but I actually kind of like the strange lighting in the first picture. It reminds me a bit of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, but I think that's partly the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally blew my mind

    ReplyDelete